Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Yip Yip



Once again I am faced with doing what is right vs. doing what is easy. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends NO SCREEN TIME for children under 2 (or Google it and find articles like this). I find this virtually impossible in my home when my 4 1/2 year old watches TV. How the heck am I supposed to shield the other from the giant glowing window (does that what Hayden thinks it is?) hanging on the wall? AND, even more so,  how am I to make dinner at 5:30pm without knowing that my children are somewhat contained on the sofa? 

Ryder has had a re-appreciation for Sesame Street, which I have to say pleases me to no end. It has to be better than Phineas and Ferb for the baby. At least someone has deemed this show educational. Of course I am now not only freaked out about my zombie 15 month old zoning out on some Big Bird Elmo bonanza, but to add to my neurosis, the show advisory information on my Tivo says for ages 3+. Oye Vey. But again, apparently not worried enough to turn it off…cuz it’s EASY (like saying cuz). Plus, I get to enjoy the oldies but goodies that I had the benefit of being entertained by when I was little. Glad to see the Alien Family is still Yip Yipping their way through Sesame Street. “Brrring! Yip Yip Phone.”

And by the way, how come everyone can see Snuffleupagus now? I liked it better when big bird was deemed slightly crazy. And yes, I did wiki the spelling of Snuffy’s given name…I was way off.

Can you see him? I can. Crazy? I think not.


4 comments:

  1. The only reason they recommend +2 is because if you let them watch it before then they'll call you Dora instead of Mama. It happens. For real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha love it. Clearly, the loss of language does not include TV words. I call a counter study!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starting to deal with the same issue! Elizabeth is like a moth to light when she sees the TV. I told Kate that this is something I'm going to have to figure out.... though my sister claims to have learned to read at 2.5 yrs old by watching Sesame Street. Not bad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sister must be right. Since the inception of Calle de Sesame, Hayden is touching letters on signs,etc. and making sounds. It works. Butin your case Elizabeth will be watching High School Musical!

    ReplyDelete